Safety is the most important thing any parent needs to be concerned about. You will need to make sure that all the rooms in your home are childproof. Your kitchen is one of the rooms that you need to take the most care of. According to the Center for Disease Control, more accidents take place in kitchens than any other rooms. Here are some things that you will need to be aware of.
Understand the Dangers
Most parents don’t realize how dangerous a kitchen can be. Here are some risks that you need to be aware of.
Most kitchen accidents are caused by knives. According to the CDC, approximately 1.17 million adult men have had to visit an emergency room after getting injured by a knife in a kitchen. They are also responsible for about 42% of all hand lacerations. You can imagine how high the risk is for children if so many adults are hurt each year.
Get in the habit of storing your knives in a knife block or rack when they aren’t being used. They should also be far out of reach of your children.
Nearly 40% of home fires are started in the kitchen. You will need to make sure that your kitchen is setup to reduce the risk. Here are some tips that you may want to follow:
- You may need to hire a trusted residential kitchen remodeler in Virginia if you want to make your home safer. They can make sure that your kitchen is made from fire retardant materials.
- You should make sure that your smoker detector always works properly.
- Know what to do if a fire starts in your kitchen. Turn off any heat source immediately.
- Make sure that your children don’t have access to the stoves or any other appliances that could start a fire. Some parents actually put locks on the stove controls to keep their children from turning them on if they are able to reach.
Nearly half of home deaths are caused by kitchen fires. You can make things much safer for your children if you take some of these precautions.
Nearly 80 million people become sick from food borne illnesses every year. Most of those illnesses begin in home kitchens.
Your kitchen is a breeding ground for bacteria. These bacteria can make people very sick if it isn’t cleaned regularly. Children are at a higher risk because they have weaker immune systems and don’t usually have the best person hygiene. Here are some things that you can do to reduce the chances that your child will be sick in the kitchen:
- Wash your kitchen cloths regularly. Approximately 90 percent of cloths are filled with dangerous bacteria.
- Some studies have found that a kitchen counter often has more harmful bacteria than their toilet. Make sure that the counter is washed every time you use it, especially if you are preparing poultry, hamburger or other foods that have a high risk of spreading salmonella, E-coli or other diseases.
- Clean every surface on the kitchen regularly. Many parts of the kitchen contain a lot of bacteria because they are cleaned so infrequently. For example, the average kitchen faucet has over 13,000 bacteria on it.
You need to keep your kitchen as clean as possible. Many children get sick from kitchens each year because parents neglected to do so.